Featured

Amid reports of rising respiratory illness, Centre asks states to review healthcare preparedness

Amid the recent reports indicating a surge in respiratory illness in children in northern China, the center has asked all states and UTs to immediately review public health preparedness. The health ministry on Sunday said that it has decided to proactively review preparatory measures against respiratory illnesses as a matter of abundant caution.

In a letter to all states and Union territories, the Union health secretary Sudhansh Pant has advised to immediately review public health and hospital preparedness such as availability of beds, drugs and vaccines for influenza, medical oxygen, antibiotics, personal protective equipment, testing kits and reagents, functionality of oxygen plants and ventilators, and infection control practices.

The state authorities have been advised to implement the Operational Guidelines for Revised Surveillance Strategy in the context of COVID-19′, shared earlier this year, which provides for integrated surveillance of respiratory pathogens presenting as cases of influenza like illness (ILI) and severe acute respiratory illness (SARI).

The states have also been asked to ensure that the trends of ILI and SARI, particularly among children and adolescents, are closely monitored by the district and state surveillance units of the Integrated Disease Surveillance Project (IDSP). The state authorities have been asked to send nasal and throat swab samples of patients with SARI, particularly children and adolescents, to the Virus Research and Diagnostic Laboratories for testing for respiratory pathogens.

The cumulative effect of implementation of these precautionary and proactive collaborative measures is expected to counter any potential situation and ensure the safety and well-being of the citizens, said the ministry in letter.

According to the WHO, the release of COVID-19 restrictions coinciding with the onset of winter season in addition to cyclical trend of respiratory illnesses such as mycoplasma pneumonia have led to this surge. While the WHO has sought additional information from the Chinese authorities, it is assessed that there is no cause for any alarm at the moment, the ministry said.

Medlarge

Recent Posts

Health minister Nadda admitted at AIIMS Delhi after uneasiness complaint

Union Health Minister JP Nadda was admitted to AIIMS Delhi following the complaint of breathing…

3 days ago

India lags in organ donation; Experts blame misconceptions & ignorance

India has achieved a milestone in organ transplantation, recording its highest-ever number of transplants in…

3 days ago

In line with Swati Maliwal, MPs must speak against menace of vaping among children: Mothers Against Vaping

Mothers Against Vaping (MAV), a collective of mothers worried about the future of their children,…

3 days ago

Parl Committee recommends mandatory kidney tests every six months for aged 20 years & above

A parliamentary committee has recommended mandatory kidney function tests every six months for everyone aged…

4 days ago

Pvt hospital rooms’ cost not more than average tariff of a three-star hotel room: Parl Panel

A  parliamentary committee has recommended that a private hospital room in a metropolitan city should…

4 days ago

‘Insurance Reforms, Public Financing & Workplace Fertility Benefits must for infertility care in India’

The Integrated Health & Wellbeing (IHW) Council marked World IVF Day by convening the 7th…

2 weeks ago