AIIMS Rheumatology HoD Dr. Uma Kumar shares tips to deal with arthritis in a modern-day lifestyle.
The world is observing today Arthritis Day 2020. The theme for this year is ‘It is in your hand to take action’. AIIMS Rheumatology HoD Dr. Uma Kumar shares tips to deal with arthritis in a modern-day lifestyle.
The theme for this year is ‘It is in your hand to take action’. Dr Uma Kumar says that it is in our hands to take action and prevent arthritis. She says that it is our misconception that rheumatic diseases impact only the joints in the body. Arthritis has an unbearable impact on many parts of our body. She adds further that if someone is suffering from rheumatic diseases in absence of proper treatment, there is a chance that he/she can develop other diseases like diabetes, heart disease, stroke, hypertension etc.
Dr. Uma Kumar advises if someone is suffering from rheumatic diseases, he/she must consult the physician, if a rheumatologist is not available, at the earliest. Dr. Uma Kumar says that focus should be oriented that arthritis must not lead to rheumatic diseases.
Tips to prevent arthritis
1. Protect joints from being injured
2. Special attention on how you sit and rise
3. Improper way of sudden standing and sitting put more pressure on joints, leading to cumulative damage and Osteoarthritis
4. Never Smoke
5. Protect yourself from obesity
6. Proper healthy diet
7. Regular intake of Vitamin D and Calcium
8. Clean surroundings. Pollutants are also arthritis risk factors